Sunday, July 3, 2011

Nan & Papa

None of us can explain, how much our grandparents mean to us...some because we don't have the chance....and others because we simply don't have the words!!!

I have been fortunate enough to have my grandparents walk with me through every step of life!!  My Nan tells me stories.... that she was the first one to hold me, and I love that every time I lay my head on her chest I can hear her heart beat!.  She used to slip me money when I was at college...just to make sure I was OK,...The money always came with a care package of home made, fresh baked bread (which no one can touch) and homemade spaghetti sauce...which I try my best at!!....but still simply untouchable!!!  ...My Papa, was my first kiss, my first love, my role model...and a man that no other can live up to!!! He built a sailboat...which I was one of the first to be invited on!  He got mad at me for licking the sour cream spoon when I was 6 while having sleepover..(which perhaps is the reason for my love of sour cream!!!)...This may seem like a negative? but for some reason it was a very special night for me!!!  My papa plays the piano like you could not imagine.... When I would come visit from college, I would bring one of my best friends, Jessica, she always said "I love how your grandparents call us for dinner"... to which I was puzzled????   She said "Your grandpa (Papa) always plays the piano when it is time for us to come up for dinner"....I hadn't realized how special it was, until someone else pointed it out!  I lived with my Nan and Papa for 2 months.... and this is what I learnt from my papa...."you always respect your Nan...she is the most important person in my life!!!"  and the wine cellar is off limits ;-))).....to which one of those I obeyed!

Sunday night dinners... when we would fill our bodies with yorkshire pudding, roast beef, and mashed potatoes!!,  After we would get into our cozy, flannel, PJ's and start on the 45 minute journey home....however, all I remember is the winding driveway umbrellaed with trees that filled the ski on either side, the bumps, the curves, the smells, it seemed as though it was 5 km long!!.... I have since driven the .5 km driveway and cannot express to my husband the warp in time, although somehow he understands and can see every word I say, as if he was there.  It's weird how one can recall, as though it was yesterday, the atmosphere, I wish I can create for my children!!

Perhaps I was slightly bias while taking these photos of grandparents so in love with what their grandchildren were doing on this very special day.   The appreciation of not just the ring (shown here) but of the love behind the ring...the love that 60 years of marriage, love, admiration, and respect, that a ring does not, and could not, show, but does resemble!





1 comment:

  1. Sweet, sweet, sweet. Feel the love folks. Your words are so beautiful, an enchanting accompaniment to your lovingly crafted/captured photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!