Thursday, September 29, 2011

Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Soup!!

I love soup!....It is one of my favourite food groups...? well besides tacos...but I don't believe tacos are really a food group?  I'm sure soup isn't either?!? LOL....However, my youngest, Paige, uses soup as her main staple... Perhaps learned ;-)))

The presentation on this soup is for an upcoming 'judged' dinner party...that I'm really looking forward to, so please add in your input!  I will be using a garnish of diakon, curls of romano cheese and a dollop of plain greek yogurt (as opposed to sour cream - for health reasons)

Please let me know what you think...of the recipe (which is an amazing dinner (served with sides ( or by itself)) or for a ladies lunch!!   It is tasty, filling, and extremely low in fat (having only 4 TBS of EVOO in 12 servings...you do the math ;-))    Also you can use this easy dish as your creative outlet...I will let you know how? down below on the steps!

Prep Time: As long as it takes to carve your pumpkins plus 45 minutes roasting time ;-)

Preheat oven on Roast at 325'

Peel and cube squash and pumpkin.  Toss in 2 TBSP EVOO with seasonings.  I used garlic powder, seasoning salt, smoked paprika, and chilli powder.  Spread out on cookie sheets.  Peel extra layers of skin off of two whole bulbs of garlic, slice of tops, drizzle with EVOO and place on cookie sheets with squash.

Roast all together for 45min.

While that is roasting, chop and saute 2 Wala Wala onions.

After roasting is complete, place roasted squash, roasted pumpkins, sauteed onions, and garlic bulbs in the slow cooker.  Add 1-2 cartons (depending on desired consistency and how much roasted squash you have) of Campbell's low sodium chicken broth.

Slow cook for 4 hours on low.

Let soup cool slightly, then with a hand blender, puree soup.

Serve with fresh ground pepper and sour cream.

ENJOY!!!



My Pie pumpkins and butternut squash!

Roast your cubed butternut squash (without peel) in the oven on 325 for 45min on the middle rack, after tossing in 1.5 TBSP of EVOO season with a light dusting of seasoning salt, pepper, and I used smoked paprika (other seasonings can be cumin and curry, or cinnamon and nutmeg)...be creative!

I used an ice cream scoop on my pumpkins, so I could use for presentation!  Peel extra skins off of your garlic cloves, then cut off tops, drizzle with oil and roast with the squash and pumpkin...if you forget add only 2 cloves of fresh ;-))

While my pie pumpkins, squash and garlic were roasting,  I cut 2 large Wala Wala onions...use less if that is your preference, also if you are trying to stay away from salt use an onion that isn't as sweet ;-))  Brown in 1TBSP of EVOO.

Add browned onions, de-skined roasted garlic...you can squeeze the 'bum' of the garlic and it should pop out into your your onions or squash!
Add 1-2 cartons of Cambells, low sodium chicken broth

Let soup cool slightly, so that it won't splash when you use a hand blender to puree. 

If you prefer soup with texture, refrain from blending





Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream (I used plain yogurt!) and a whole wheat garlic brushed bread...  ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!