Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Step 1 - 5 Freezer Cleanup Challenge!

Step 1:  Take Photos...grab your point & shoot, your I-phone, your DSLR...whatever you have and take before and afters!!!   Why???   Because to see what you have done is so motivating!!!

Here is my Fridge Before!!!






My Freezer BEFORE!!






Step 2:  After taking your before's throw out any un-useables in your freezer.  As Ted and I leave for 2 or more days frequently, I often put everything that is fresh in the freezer leading me to a total abundance of brown bananas (yes Ted you were right...I have to many ;-))  Also get rid of anything that has been in the freezer past it's timeline...yes just because it is frozen, it doesn't mean it is still good!!!
According to Lifehacker.com, the limits are as follows :

Fruits and Vegetables: 8-12 Months
Poultry: 6-9 Months
Fish: 3-6 Months
Ground Meat: 3-4 Months
Cured or Processed Meat: 1-2 Months




So throw away anything WAY over...I still cook with borderline products and so far have not had any issues ;-)  Plus I HATE throwing away food!!!!!!

A few of my throw-aways!
5 scorpions - From our Phoenix home...then T took to school and they defrosted, so the smell is unbearable 
1 dead fish (if they die the pet stores say to freeze and then bring them back to exchange for new ones)...we must have forgot.

Shortening...I never use...when I bake I buy the pie shells (come-on it tastes just as good and saves a whole lot of time)

a bunch of bananas...I admit I had to many

Lamb rump...it was WAY past..because I'm not a lamb fan, and Ted can't eat it anymore...;-(



Step 3:  Wipe down shelves, organize according to 'type' of food and put away!


Step 4:  Take your inventory....

 


Then take inventory of your newly organized and cleaned fridge.




Then take inventory of your dry storage.






 My Inventory!!!!!


FREEZER:

UN-USEABLES
2 dog bones
26 ice packs ???  not sure how we have accumulated this many?


APPIES  (these I will not worry about...as I always have something quick and easy to cook up for drop-in guests....)

Cocktail wieners
Edamame (which I will also use in dishes)
Gyoza
Jalapeno Poppers
Mini Tacos
Chicken strips- for the girls
garlic sausage (either for guests or Taeya's perogie addiction)
Ice cream treats
Cookies
CHOCOLATE LOTS ( Ted and Taeya are chocoholics)
Cashews (fresh from Indonesia...our neighbours Bryan and Karen, went on a mission there and brought home a huge bag for us...however, as Ted cannot eat any nuts, except for almonds, it is hard for me to use in any baking or cooking...snacks only!)

PROTEINS:
6 Fillets of Sole
 
9 Turkey Brests
10 Chicken Brests
 
2 ground turkey pkgs
1 whole chicken
1 ham hock
9 halibut cheeks
3 small pork medallions

6 Top Sirloin steaks
1/2 bag of prawns


STARCHES:
Mushroom Rav (I will save this for Taeya's lunches...so I will not include)
Tri-colour 3 cheese tortellini (this is for the girls lunches (when I'm having a lazy day))
Wonton Wrappers
Hash browns - ? not sure where these came from...family visiting....anyways they are game for the challenge!
2 pkgs Fresh Fettuccini (ironic I know)
Steamed Farkay noodles  


VEGGIES:
Spinach
Green Peas 
Bell Peppers
Pink Cherry tomatoes
Green beans


FRUITS:
7 brown bananas
Lots of blueberries
cranberries

OTHERS Turkey soup
Butternut squash soup


I also have a lot of fresh Italian plums from my MIL I would like to incorporate, along with clementines, pears, apples (from both my girlfriend Jes' orchard, as well as our neighbours brought us a beautiful fruit basket)  I have leeks, celery, onions, lemon/limes, beets etc!!!


So here we go!!!!!

Step 5:  Pick your recipes.....have fun there are may resources on the internet.... Food Network is one of my fav's!   Research, put in your desired ingredients and go with your families tastes and desires!   I'll see you tomorrow with my game plan!

Good Night!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!